Sunday, September 28, 2014

Too much Glitz signifies Depth of faith?

I'm more than often told I have a different perspective on many things.
I'm Ok with that. As long as I'm honest to my own self and don't live in denial to what I observe and feel - I'm totally OK.. even if I'm on stand-alone.

Why did I mentioned that? Because I had couple of discussions last week and I thought - Really? Can people be So blind-faithed? Though I respect their points of views; I can never think like them.

Couple of weeks ago I visited Triambakeshwar and Shirdi. Two from the list of most revered pilgrimages of India.
Triambakeshwar is one of the 12 Jyotirlings dedicated to Lord Shiva. While most of the Shiva temples all around India, including these 12 most revered temples are comparatively modestly maintained; there is a serious problem with the running and maintenance of many other famous temples in India.. and maybe abroad too.

I remember visiting Shirdi some seven-eight years back. I clearly remember how the temple complex was then and also how the main sanctum hall looked.
It was basic, modest and just fine for how a temple should be. Only Baba's accessories and samadhi were ornated with gold, which is a given in any temple.
This time when I visited, I could'nt help but notice and appreciate how much more organised the temple structure was and how easy it was to access locker rooms to mobile lockers to prasad counters etc.
Luckily for us, within half an hour we were in the main hall and that is where I was temporary stalled in my steps with the sight ahead. The main sanctum hall was unrecognizable - it looked more gold than paint!

This wasn't the case earlier. I'm sure, over the years with the devotees faith growing and contributions coming in, there must have been quite a collection of funds happening... but to utilise all that money to gold pillars and what not; is something I cannot relate to.
Anyways, I concentrated on the very nice darshan that we had and moved out to the temple complex.

We sat there for around fifteen minutes or so and within that span I could notice more than a few children begging.. and few wandering and trying to sell Baba's pics and other items to the devotees. Now these children I'm certain were no more than five years of age. Observing this was what got me thinking on the two extremes within the same premises. I wondered was so much gold really required to deck up the place? Wouldn't it have been better if the temple authorities did something about the underprivileged there?

Honestly, the temple WILL get visitors irrespective of the fact if the pillars are in gold/rubies or plain white plaster paint! Ofcourse, it needs to be maintained neat and clean. But apart from that, I really don't believe in the fancy glitz.

And while I do acknowledge the temple trust is making amenities more comfortable and people friendly.. so that there are more and more tourists visiting - I wonder why can't they re-direct the extra inflow they get to do something about the kids/beggars/lower rung  people there?
Probably they might be doing something.. but inspite; there are still children begging/working.. or plain running around there.

Why not set up a trust and hire people who can track these homeless/underprivileged kids and ensure they are provided education of some kind? Maybe some school which again, I'm sure the temple trust can afford?
Basically, what I'm so hoping is - why can't these richie rich places have productive chanelling of all that wealth that is offered there? I'm sure this would be enough cause too for more tourists to flock up.
It's a win-win situation.

But obviously - It's a thought shared not by many or rather not the ones in power there or for that matter at any big religious significant site.
At the end it all because a race for "this temple has most offerings offered and is rich, compared to the others". This thought process is what has become the doom of our country's largest income generating platforms - the famous temples! A place to show off glitz!

Again the same thought; is it really required or justified? I'm not sure. I've spoken to my understanding of sane people [  :p ] and majority had the same say - if we don't deck up and fame our places, who will?
Obviously, fame gains predence over Faith.  
When priorities are confused - how can there be an effective result?

Think on it.


© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment