Saturday, August 14, 2010

Proud to be an Indian?

On the eve of our 63rd independence day, when I see people flaunting t-shirts & badges of "Proud to be an Indian", I wonder if I would ever use that phrase.

I am certainly patriotic- very.. & I'll say I'm very blessed & glad to be born an Indian. But 'Proud to be Indian'? NAH. I can't claim that.

Proud is a word I would use if I have done something which brings me a sense of fulfilment, where I would want to be credited for
or something which is mine & I derive pride from.
Talking of my first point, I can say I am proud, as I DO do my bit in most small ways to make my country a better one.
But that contribution does not count much...as I am not a public personality that people see & follow. So its my own sense of responsibility I follow.
In regards to the second point, I can Most definitely say that I am not proud to be an Indian.

How can I be proud when the most vital things that represent a nation are disheartening in my country? I did not even have to spend any thinking time over this blogpost...as I usually do.
These noted elements are all over the place.

  • Corruption: 60+ years...& we are STILL grappling with corruption. In every sector, in EVERY damn place, corruption is deep seated here. As I am writing this, I cannot help to mention the latest Common Wealth Games scam. HOW long does India need to battle this?? When will we have a day when our politicians stop thinking, "My money is mine & your money is also mine?!?"
  • Disrespect for women: This country has loads of goddesses. I mean literally. Visit any part of the country & you will see different avatars of goddesses local to that region. & they are worshipped with fervour too. No discounts there. But look around & you will see less than the least minimal percent of respect, in actual, given to women. Disrespect, rape, assault, abuse of women is as much as a part of the elite as it is of the down trodden.
  • Respect for people: Value of people is increasingly declining & only names are getting respected. People don't get respected for their individuality but for their social positioning. India was surely not like this.
  • Non tolerance: Since independence, as a nation we have become the most non tolerant for any kind of issues which takes just a flicker & the country gets burning. Did independence do that to us? Weren't we together earlier?
  • Accountability: What should naturally be taken care of, has to be either thrashed out from the government or drummed in at regular intervals for making them accountable. The easiest & oft used method of pushing-the-cart demonstrates the nature of out governance very well. The blame game is just not done!!!
  • Punctuality: Visit any government office on the time it IS supposed to start working & you will most surely not find more than half the staff there. What is it going to take to make these people self liable? How is their mindset made??
  • Education: Education does not ONLY mean a degree & a means to get a paycheque! Education means being aware of things around you & act! Education means the knowledge of sharing your true self. I wonder if it is taken like that anymore. We are so comfortable in ignoring things that do not help us personally, that the state of the country just gets worse.

These are only a few things which, when I think make me feel depressed over the state of the nation. Yet I very well know, it all comes from us. When each of us gets individually responsible, we can collectively bring about the change.

Easier said than done, but Yes, I trust it.

Being a believer in faith, I fervently pray, wish & hope that India does rise over these tsunamic ordeals...maybe very very slowly, yet surely & truly gets nationally on the progressive mode.
& then is when I shall truly feel "Proud to be an Indian."

Happy Independence day to all.

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

12 comments:

  1. WOW.. This is the first time I am reading your blog. I read it completely and agree with each point but I would like to add two more points to the list.

    Discriminating people by caste / religion: We don't notice this in our busy days but it really does exist even today ...both in rural and urban. I don't mind when people talk about it becoz i keep away from it but what hurts is when they start comparing.

    Voting: How many of us take time to get our name registered in voters list? Do we care spending few hours to vote for best leader? And how do we choose so called best leader? Saddest part is voting for person from same caste and voting to person who pays you highest.

    Nice blog Biraj :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts.

    Write some good things about India. I am sure there are many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "man has dominated man to his injury" and how true is that! .....very well said biraj!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Raj: Thank U for yr nice words.. :) & also thanx for sharing your two points. Sad facts those too! :(

    @ Praveen: I have tht one coming too.. there sure are LOADS of good things in our country. Tht too is coming up soon. :)

    @ Resh : "man has dominated man to his injury" Well Said yourself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Abhishek: Jai Hind!! :)

    @ Naresh: Well, the opening lines were in a larger context. As a place, there IS no place like India. So I am indeed Blessed to be born Indian. Our culture, heritage & our ROOTS is wht makes this place the most beautiful palce on Earth. So, I wldn't mind using the term "Proud ...' in a genreric point of view.
    But when it is flaunted individually, It is then tht I don undersatnd it. Coz it sounds more like its a personal accomplishment then....
    Long topic this. More apt for conversing! :)

    & it sure was our 6rd Independence day! Count!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! 63rd independence day!! Not 6rd!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. A common mistake: Its not the 63rd but the 64th Independence Day (which includes 15th August 1947). And, its the 63rd Independence Anniversary. :)

    Happy 64th Independence year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSS Again!!! :P

    I was actually referring to the years all along... but had incorrectly put it.
    Thank you for putting it across clearly Sir.
    Happy 64th Independence year to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL....OK! I did admit my error!! Will keep your money safe till I get to give it to U! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of you give me paanch paanch! LOL!

    ReplyDelete