Monday, November 22, 2010

Waking Up

So it took me a report card for me to get back here.


Report card of my blog rating which has been steadily declining from the past three months, took a dip into lowest ranges for the past month [It's ranked 31 for October! :( Well, what else can I get for posting only One single post in the entire month! ]

Not that I'm taking it as a given word on my blog...but well.. if I put it up there, it better score decent! [I'd actually dedicated a blog when I'd scored first class a while back!! See how seriously I take my grades? :P]

Anyways, the topic which also got me writing here was one which gets me thinking everytime I come across it, its just that I never bothered penning...blogging it down.

I have been catching glimpses of the serial "Balika Vadhu" on & off for a while now. Its a soap set in Rajasthan & tries to shows the culture & tradition of the place among the other whole lot of typical fooling the masses around thing.
Now, when it began, I was a bit enthu about it.. as it promoted revealing the truth about child marriages & the thing...

I DID also know that, that cause will be on the burner as soon as the serial progresses. So, in my way, I like to catch soaps when they're new..& still are under the spell of doing what they originally start out to do. Then when they digress, I stop watching them.

In this particular serial, it goes like, Its a matriarch who heads the family.. & whatever she says is the word. Nobody dare defy her or she lets hell loose.
& not one man from the family [read her sons] stand up firmly against her. What she commands has to be followed, even if its either about getting her 40 something son an 18year old bride or on some other instance getting the grandson remarried..etc... You get the drift. None can much raise even a word of protest -- even if she's wrong more often than not!

I've taken this soap just as an instance. But it is not uncommon to find such people still around, especially in towns & the interiors. While they're progressive ones too.. they're few & far in between. More often these bull headed are the ones commonly visible.


I also wonder how in the name of 'respect', 'tradition' , culture; most people..[may I add families in total too] end up becoming mute spectators to unjustness, injustice, harm done within families itself. How is it deemed to be called 'good' to be respectful even if families are being broken becoz of stupid laws...

& laws that are set by whom? Based on what?

No clue.

Most of the times these head of the families do not even know why they follow certain customs & traditions.

My understanding is people do recognize when something's going wrong, but the deep seated upbringing comes in the line of making them even realize they can & they need to stand up. That kind of thinking is sorely missing in most of the people unfortunately.

Also, I wonder if it is really then respect that makes people stay quite? Or is it fear? Fear. Fear of anything.. of not being supported, fear of standing up alone...fear of even being disregarded from the family or the family fortune sometimes.
Do people end up staying mute for this too?

I shudder to think of a few other alternatives. Not a very healthy place to be take my mind to.

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

3 comments:

  1. Ever tried"SAB TV"?

    Its a real winner checkout for "Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chasma" "Paapad Pol"
    "FIR"

    They are the best stress busters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sab TV has some really good stress busters..I watch them on & off too.. nothing regular though.

    ReplyDelete