Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why Celebrate?

The fist decade of the second millennium has gone by [not my phrase..read it somewhere] & I reflect by on what I lived in the past 10 years.
As I'm chronicling the decade gone by in my personal notes, one thought occuring to me is, why do we take stock of things around the new year only? Why do we resolve to do/achieve/give up things only on the new years? After all, its only as good as any other day.

Sometimes I do feel its much ado over nothing.. the Sun is going to rise the same, the day is going to be as long, my relations are going to be the same too... Yet why do we go all childlike gooey over this then?

As I think over this, I get a prompt in my head in reply...
That however ordinary the day is, there's something about new years that has most of us excited...

That something could be put as: Becoz it is defined. Becoz it marks the beginning of new. Becoz it puts a proper end to something. Becoz it gives us hope to start fresh. Becoz it gives us a chance to reflect yourself in a timeframe. Becoz it makes us resolve. Becoz it makes us count. Becoz it helps us move on. Becoz it psychologically makes us feel better about growth.

Few reasons these, but they all count somewhere.
There just a whole lot of things for everybody in 'that something'; Right?

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in class VIII, I asked my English teacher about the reason why we celebrate dates.

    He told me:

    " I don't know why people celebrate dates. Many people think that life is a boring stuff. So they celebrate dates in order to escape from the monotony of life. But why life becomes monotony? Because people will not live in the present. They live either in the past or in the future. Thoughts are responsible for all the misery of man. Actually thoughts are dead memories. They come and go. Look at them with an impassionate mind. And you will be a Man free from all the sorrows."

    I remembered these lines when I read this post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Satya. That could be the real reason why we celebrate. Your teacher seems to be a well read soul.

    ReplyDelete