Saturday, October 31, 2009

Har Ghar Kuch Kehta Hai

The first time I had walked into my interior design class, I had this dream about building my own home, not a house, if you know what I mean.
A home which welcoming, calming, has a lot of love, warmth, comfort & my distinct reflection onto it. I call it a 'home' since it would have my touch since day one.


Over the years whenever I have helped design houses for people, at the back of my mind I'd always feel an alternating happiness to help someone realise their dream & a sweet longing to build mine.

So, last year when my parents decided to renovate our home, that was the next best opportunity! Until I don't build my own nest, this was as close as I could get in realising that dream.

After a year & a half today, of a clamorous roller coaster, after resourcing my best; coz of limited parameters...[It was the renovation of a very old building!] that dream is almost realised.

Clamorous roller coaster becoz, Apart from me, every department has changed hands from more than one group of craftsmen.

Let me count.

The contractor, the electrician, the plumber, the tiles guys, the painters, the fabricator, the carpenter...All these. Phew!! Am I still forgetting anybody?? :O

Also, being a very old structure, every day presented a new surprise/shock in turns... Had expected that. When undoing a thing to do it back, one needs to be doubly careful about it. Treading delicately was the mantra.

As one can never estimate the cost of a wedding, one can also never estimate the exact timeframe & cost of building a house. People who relegate building of their houses to others will not experience this, only people who have been through any of these rigmaroles of building their homes on their own can truly understand the analogy of this fact.

& Today, as I see the final results of a lot of restoring, recycling, reinventing & rebuilding; hear the various comments on it, there is a sense of verve, that I did manage to fulfil my promise to self; even with a few warts & all. It takes the fatigue away from all the upheavals from the past year & a half's stress, overthrows, dead-ends & blocks.
Today, it is a job well done.
[Ummm...Did you ask 'Modesty'? Well, I ask, what's that? :D ]

So as 15/16 is getting back on track again, improved & improvised, I'm making a wish for blessed beginnings, happy things & lots of good times!
You are invited to come over for a peekoo with your good wishes too. :)

Aakhir, 'Har ghar kuch kehta hai, ke andar isme koun rehta hai.'

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment