Saturday, May 8, 2010

To Yercaud!

A few blogs back I was contemplating to visit some place; as had been one of my this year resolutions.

I wasn't sure I could make it anywhere as I hadn't prepared anything for it .. like in finalizing a place, researching it, locating accommodation, tickets etc.

However, I believe, if the desire's deep, it gets you moving! [Atleast in certain things!]

So on May 1st I decided to check out to a place called Yercaud.
Most are not aware of this place. It is a small hill station, about an hour's drive from Salem city in Tamilnadu.
Its also called the poor man's hill station. [My finances were not great... so this sounded good! :P ]

Since I have not been to Tamilnadu much, I was a lil apprehensive as for the MAIN language problem there.
Yet, I thought, what the heck, I am visiting some place in India, I should manage.

So, with a couple of days frantic search on the net, on phone on maps, on Lonely Planet ... & after making a few reservations, off I took on the 7th May.

Reached Salem 6:30Am! Didn't expect that early to reach as the ticket mentioned 8:00. Nevertheless, obviously was glad then.

Got down & walked my way to the local bus stand AFTER just about managing to get the direction to there. That first experience did give me a lil jitter. People there really do not either understand even sign language or they don't believe in helping foreigners! [Yea, made me feel like one then.]

Wandering back to the pleasantness, its always a different feeling to observe a new place in the crack of morning. the various people out on the roads at that time of the day give you a reflection of the city's soil.
& you actually get a chance to absorb it too...as the place is not fully awake yet. I love the impressions that I form like that.

Soon enough I was on my way to Yercaud in a local bus...which was pretty crowded at 7:00 in the morning too! Learnt many people ferry up & down Yercaud - Salem for work & jobs.

Reached Yercaud & was aghast in the first 10 minutes itself! Nooo..not for the place; but I was aghast to pay 35Rs. for the taxi to my hotel as compared to the 12Rs. that I spent on the bus fare!!! Lone travelling always pinches a lil harder. Not that I'm really complaining though. :)

The first impression I had of the place was that it really looked a small place...& unfortunately was becoming a victim of expansion. That shouldn't be allowed as the hill station is not that far from the city; exploiting it would lessen the charm & take the temperature up due to globalization.

Musing on that I decided to have a low key day; i.e wanted to explore a bit on my own rather than jump on the sight seeing band. It would anyways not take long to cover this place!

So after spending a leisure morning & noon reading by the window sill of my room, at 4:00 I set off to the Big lake. One of the main centres at Yercaud.

When there, I noticed at regular distances there were these Tamilnadu tourism 'promote green environment' placards/ banners & advertisements in simple & effective ways.

Really appreciated that. A nice effort that they're making.

Spent some time there...met a few interesting/non interesting/over friendly people & moved away to catch a magic show nearby.

Wow! It felt so good to feel the awe at tricks that I thought I was done with enjoying only in my childhood. Pretty much enjoyed the show & walked back to the hotel with [suspiciously too nice!] an uncle. Told you na, met a varied lot there. People getting over friendly in the first go? Nah..Not my style! Shrugged him off politely & ended the day with books, sandwiches & tea. :

Breakfast had given me a preview of the food buds of the place..& they didn't suit mine. :(

Here ended day 1 of my 3 day trip. Ofcourse day 2 is where all the action lies, so day 2 will be up once it happens.

& Its goin to be tomorrow. Look for it!

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

3 comments:

  1. Hey.. Where is day2? You really impressed me with your lone travelling... Too artistic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 2 is on its way! Just need to finish it off.... Will be up shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete