Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nine Five

After my meagre dinner, as I was pretty tired of the previous night's travel, so had semi crashed out by 11:30 or so.

In between Power cuts & calls from home, it was finally 2:00 by the time I slept.
While sleeping a thought was to go for a walk in the morn...but later that....'m finally drifting to sleep ...

*************************************************************************
Though I'm generally not lazy in trips, I didn't want to rush today. It was a Sunday!
... & Sundays are by default lazy!! So my walk did happen.... except that it was in my dreams! :D
A quick run over the newspaper, a few calls again, my morning had started good. A surprise call from a friend whom I was speaking to almost after five months just added to the pleasant surprises!! :)

By 10:45 I was out of my room waiting for the taxi I hired for sightseeing to arrive. Fresh, Bright & happy. :)
Going thro the sightseeing brochure while waiting for the taxi, again the thought was reaffirmed that Yercaud is indeed small. I thought I would be done by a couple of hours...

Ohh!! & there I'd planned to spend quite a part of the day in nature's lap, in peace.

Decided to just go along for now, next things next. Will enjoy whatever few places this place offered.

Good for me the taxi I hired was an official Tamilnadu tourism one & felt lucky as the driver could speak broken English!
Later realised, actually I got thrice luckier...on a good day.
Why?
Coz this driver guy was also a guide & pro active photographer! :D
Not only did he show me small interesting places, he also volunteered at beautiful scenic points to click pics.. Lol. Was good for me! :D

Started off my day with the visit to 'Lady's seat'....followed by the 'Gent's seat.'

Now I have NO clue why they were named so! I did try to find out, but alas, there was just no info on it there. & what was, was in Tamil! English was just about present a little to identify the places I guess.

Asked the driver too. With his limited English & my limited understanding of that, I could not make anything out...so I let the mystery of the names be.

BTW, these two places are the view points of the ghats from which one travels upto Yercaud.
One gets to see the snake curves & the beautiful winding roads of the ghats from these two, nearby but different places. Being camouflaged by the fog.. even in the peak of May, the ghats looked beautiful.

Next was the Rose garden on the list. I got dropped off at the top of the hill & was told by the driver that he would meet me at the exit of the park. You generally have a common entry & Exit for parks, isn't it? Honestly, I got did not understand what he meant then. I thought he was about to run away!

After making sure he wasn't, I left him at that point hoping that when I reach the exit, I do find him there!
Walked inside the park & slowly realised what he meant.
The park had a walk which led downhill & probably to the exit at some other point down the pathway.

Full of silver oak trees & long manicured paths, this garden was scenic & was a very pleasant sight to the eye. it was also pretty green & shaded. As it was a Sunday, quite a few people were out on the day & I made friends with a cute little girl whom I had met earlier at the lady's seat. Meeting kids is always absorbing, they bring life with them.

One amusing thing I did note was that even if the place was called Rose garden, there was just a small patch dedicated to the roses & that too weren't much in bloom!

Lost in thoughts taking in the place, I drifted off in some off path ...& as I was just wondering if I'd gotten lost, I spotted my guide cum driver.
Wandering near the exit with a feeling of getting lost? How often does that happen!

One thing I did notice while to & fro'ing from one place to the next, was that Yercaud has a lot of ups & downs. Could make that out from the taxi ride too. Wondered about the people who stay there, they must be getting so tired!

From there was a quick visit to a freedom fighter's home & then to the oldest British built church of the place, I was on my way to the place I'd find most beautiful.
Moved to Pagoda point from the church. My most fav place in this hill station. This place was housed within a Christian religious college of learning.. Now most tourists miss the actual sight seeing point, that is way inside the college grounds. I liked the peace there so went off to see what more the place offered.
I thought that was beautiful, but as my guide led me to the end of the grounds. It was AMAZING! The sights from that point, from where the city of Salem & a couple of other places nearby are visible, giving a broad overview of the towns below was amazing.
Even at 1:00 in the peak noon, a cool breeze blew in the air making it more perfect. I defined this place as the perfect place in this hill station. I also discovered a time measure unit here. A unit by which the time is measured using the sun's rays. A first for me, it sure was intriguing.
After spending a considerable amount of time at the Pagoda point, we moved to Don Bosco school. A very old & a pretty famous one, I was instantly awed by its hugeness. Obviously again a British built school, the school housed some pretty amazing playgrounds, the hostels & a small bird sanctuary too. [If I could call it that.] Had a close one to one with our national bird. & Ohhh... I can safely say its the most beautiful male ever!! ;)
Only thing I felt bad was it should've been in its own wild surrounding..or atleast had company. Peahen please! Company of Ostriches & few other birds wasn't ideal company for it, right?
Last, but not the least, visited two very old temples of Yercaud. One Rajarajeshwari temple & the other the Shevroy's temple, which is built inside a rock. One needs to duck & go within to pay tributes & duck your way out too. BTW, this temple was at the highest altitude of the place. However, I felt, the temple could do with a little outer structure development.
& it was time to get on the way back to the resort after my day out! No food did make me Hungrrrryy & unfortunately the cake I picked up on the way, was not great & did not help at all!
The bright side was that the weather & the ride back to the resort were too good & I almost didn't miss my being hungry.
Here ended my tour of Yercaud. I missed the Killenjeri falls..but that's OK. Once you've missed something...it better to forget it from the place too! :P Well yes, I did remember it here...I love visiting falls in the hillstations!
Next day with the same way 35Rs. taxi ride to the bus stop & 12Rs bus ride to Salem ended my too short yet blissed journey to a small calm place called Yercaud.

No comments:

Post a Comment