Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Beautiful Story

A beautiful story to share in the month I've dedicated to Love.

It is an episode narrated by a nurse:

" It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 am, when an elderly gentleman, in his 80's, came in to have stitches removed from his thumb.

He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.
On examining his wounds I noticed it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his stitches and re-dress his wound. While taking care of his wound, we began talking.
I asked him if he had a doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. He told me that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I then inquired about her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was avictim of Alzheimer Disease (memory loss).
As we talked, and I finished dressing his wound, I asked if she would be worried if he was a bit late.
He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him. "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?"
I had to hold back tears when I heard his answer. He smiled as he patted my hand and said,
"She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I realized that true love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, that has been, that will be, and that will not be. "

No comments:

Post a Comment